Here is the line-up of people who will be appearing in the Club Room at the Veterans’ Memorial Center on Oct. 6 (in this general order) at our International Festival. Thanks to our coordinators Adrianna Elisa Parra-Fox and Lorrie Bortuzzo:
- “A Traves de Mis Ojos: Visual Art of Children Growing Up in a Farm Working Community” is a exhibit of artwork in response to closure of key services to ag workers.
- Slam Poets! Sacramento Area Youth Speaks (SAYS) features: Ronee La Rae, Terri Grace, Andre Tillman, Jenny Vargas and Julien Clark.
- Selected UC Davis Humphrey Fellows will give short talks about their homeland, their work, and their hopes for a year of study at UC Davis. Speakers are from Pakistan (Tahawar Hussain), Kenya (Roselyn Onyuro) and Oman (Nasr Alshamsi).
- Faces of Cuba with Rick Moniz: He will look at the diverse character of Cuban culture and its Afro-Cuban-European roots.
- Global Musical Instruments: A panel will discuss musical instruments not found in the mainstream.
- Chilean artist Erna Martinez will show how she creates recycled art from thrown-away objects. This is an interactive workshop where you will learn how to make a recycled keychain, among other objects.
- Coach Rick Powers on “Competitive Swimming Around the World: Personal Experiences.”